Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Keto Day 1

Midget was admitted yesterday for his diet. It was kind of tough on me because they had trouble getting his formula up to him in a timely manner so I had to listen to him smack and lick his lips for a few hours. But he did really well so I'm ok now. *grin*

Things are going good so far. I only noticed one very mild seizure yesterday and Mom, likewise, thought she only saw one. Granted Midget was in and out of sleep all day thanks to his medications. (He had them on an empty stomach yesterday morning and they ALL cause drowsiness.) When he wasn't sleeping, he was laughing like crazy. I figure it was just because he was tired although maybe the diet is all ready working to relieve the grumpiness. *snort*

His blood sugar stayed good all night so that's a good sign that the diet it working. We will check his ketones this morning when we change his diaper (unless the nurse did it while we were at breakfast). They drew some blood this morning to check all his medication levels. Hopefully we can start decreasing the Phenobarbital before he leaves the hospital but I'm not sure they will.

The dietitian said we will keep him on the formula for now but will progress him back to baby foods soon. I figure his 1 month recheck at the end of September will be when we start the transition back.

This post would have been more exciting and funny had I gotten to a computer late last night. But I didn't even remember the 24 hour lab was here so I just stayed in bed and tried to sleep. *chuckle* Anyways.... I need to get back to his room and give him a bath.... after that I plan to stick my nose back in my book, A Deadly Game by Catherine Crier. (Don't ask why I wanted to read it but it's really good so far!) *grin*

I'll try to post again later today if I can and have anything interesting to say. Have a great day!

No comments: